Monday, January 3, 2011

Jennie-O-Nooooo!

I fixed these for the kids today for lunch and I even I popped a few back myself, thinking, "turkey, that's found in creation, right?".  Then I read the ingredients on this pack of Jennie-O Turkey Meatballs.  Here are a few ingredients added to these morsels:
Dextrose - It's basically sugar.  Cheap sugar used to add flavor.  When the body has too much dextrose, it is either converted to fat or stored as glycogen to be used later.  This stuff is already manufactured in our bodies, do we really need more of it?
Autolyzed Yeast Extract  -  This is what is created when you add salt to live yeast. According to wisegeek.com, "Autolyzed Yeast enhances the flavor of food by chemically altering the consumer's taste buds.  It contains a substantial amount of free glutamic acid, an enzyme which makes it easier for the taste buds to detect savory or meaty flavors.  Both of these additives may cause allergic reactions in some people."  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing what is hidden in the food we eat! I remember when I found out Costco infuses their rotisserie chicken with fat! That's why they taste so good, but don't we eat chicken to avoid fat????

    ReplyDelete