Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 2 - Why Didn't I Start This When I Got Home?

Well, Day 2 started out great!  BREAKFAST was as follows:
- Raw Almonds
- Fuji Apple
- A few slices of Mozzarella Cheese



Then at noon we headed to Pike St. Market in downtown Seattle.  If you've never been, you have to go!  It's the nation's oldest farmer's market, open everyday!  It's famous for flying fish being thrown around, a few scenes from Sleepless in Seattle were filmed there, and it's home to the 1st Starbucks coffee.  Besides the history, it's just loaded with produce, meats, cheeses, and all kinds of gifts...it's HUGE!!
We found the coolest Italian market that I've been in since I've been back from Italy, it was awesome!!  Stuff you can't find anywhere, imported cheeses and meats, and tons of authentic ingredients.

So, my LUNCH looked like this:
- 1 artisan potato roll (fresh bread that was SO good, and all ingredients found in creation).
- Artichoke spread (artichoke hearts, eve, lemon juice, parmigiano-reggiano, s&p)
- Giant marinated white beans
- 1 Dolmade
- Fresh Chevre w/Basil (fresh homemade goat cheese and chopped up basil...whoa!)
- 1 Cappuccino


Then came dinner time!  Which brings me to the title of today's blog, "why didn't i start this when i got home"?  My family is up here in Seattle for 3 weeks taking care of my sister and brother-in-law's 3 kids while they're away in Asia.  Anybody who has ever been on an eating program will tell you that it's hard to begin something like this when you're out of your surroundings and your daily routine.  Being in a new city as big and as interesting as Seattle is for 3 weeks has been great up until now.  There are SO many places to eat up here I never knew what a "food town" Seattle was and is.  So, I took my oldest son Jake to a Parkour class (www.parkourvisions.org) just north of downtown tonight.  After class he says he's starving!  So, I jump on my iPhone to find him a good place for his favorite food, cheeseburgers.  I just happened to be 6 blocks away from a place called Red Mill Burgers.  Red Mill Burgers have been featured on Oprah, The New York Times, and GQ for having one of the Top 20 Burgers You Have To Eat Before You Die.  It's the Double Bacon Cheeseburger with Red Mill's special sauce (www.redmillburgers.com).  So, I start running down the ingredients list in my head for things that are "found in creation".  Things like meat, lettuce, onions, tomatoes are all fine.  American cheese definitely is not, mayonnaise is not, and the bun is probably loaded with refined sugars as a well as the special Red Mill Sauce, don't forget the bacon which is loaded with sulfites.  So, I decided to give myself a little leeway for the next week, but only while we are here in Seattle!  I will stick to my plan as scheduled, but should I happen across something as acclaimed as Red Mill Burgers, being a good culinary student, I will have to try it...and then right back on the program!  But it has to be as hyped as this burger was, otherwise I won't...and I won't go looking for it either.  If I just happen to find it by accident, then I will report back.  I felt too guilty to even take a picture of this monster, so you'll have to link over to their website (www.redmillburgers.com) to see pictures.  After all the hype you know what...it was good, but it wasn't worth breaking my eating plan over, and take it from me, should you die before eating a Double Bacon Cheeseburger w/Read Mill Special Sauce, you won't be missing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment